pic taken from website
A typical opera cake is layers of jaconde cake (almond sponge cake) soaked in coffee syrup, a layer of coffee buttercream, a layer of chocolate ganache and topping of chocolate glaze.
Setelah lebih sebulan dok usha resepi kek opera di internet, and finally I've made it!!..Banyak version rupanyer kek opera nih but the more or less is the same receipe. Setelah mengkaji satu persatu resepi, finally I came out with receipe by Rima from Bisousotai...( all the way from singapore). I found the receipe is more easier compare to others!
Jaconde cake (almond sponge cake)
200g ground almound ( I used ground hazelnut)
150g castor sugar
50g butter (melted)
60g all purpose flour
4 egg whites
60g icing sugar
100ml hot brewed coffee
- stir until dissolve and put aside.
250g white choc
250ml whipping cream
10g instant coffee
- Heat the cream till boiling point, turn-off heat. Add in instant coffee. Pour it over white choc & stir well.
250g dark chocolate
250ml whipping cream
1 tbsp butter (for shiny & glossy-optional)
- Same way as the above method.
1. Beat the egg white till soft peak. Add icing sugar and beat till stiff and glossy.
2. Beat ground almond, castor sugar and 3 eggs on medium speed till light & fluffy about 3 minutes. Beat in the remaining 3 eggs while continue beating another 3 minutes.
3. Drop 2 big spoons of the batter into melted butter. Stir well and set aside.
4. Add in flour, beat on low speed until it dissappear.
5. Using rubber spatula, gently fold the meringue onto the almond mixture then fold in the melted butter.
6. Divide the batter between the pans & spread evenly.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or till lightly browned and springy to touch.
1. Take one layer and brush with coffee syrup. Spread coffee ganache onto layer.
2. Repeat the process untill finished. Refrigerated about 20 minutes to firm the structure.
3. Pour the chocolate ganache over the cooled cake. Set aside in the refrigerator for an hour.
4. Cut the crust sides of the cake with long thin knife that's just been dipped into hot water & wiped.
opera cake my version...
a slice of cakes...
Walaupun nampak remeh tapi sangat2 berbaloi.....the kid's love it very much esp the coffee ganache...'macam sos pretzel'..diorang kata....he333...